What you should know about the National E ID Card
July 9, 2021
What you should know about the National E ID Card
e Id Card – The National Identity Management Commission has a number of backup plans beyond just issuing the NIN as an identity feature to legal Nigerian residents.
Sequel to the NIN number obtained by every enrolled Nigerian, a card comes thereafter as an additional token to complement the process, this card is referred to as the e id card (Electronic Identity Card).
The National Electronic Identity Card is a chip based card that comes with several function beyond just identifying you as a Nigerian citizen.
Who is eligible for the national e id card?
While the NIN is for everyone without restrictions, the id card is reserved for select users persons who have attended the age of 16 and above.
Difference between the 11 digit NIN vs the number on the national e id card
- The NIN can be used on its own for digital identity verification without the e-id card
- The e-id card however cannot be used on its own for the purpose of digital identity verification without the NIN first being stored in its chip
- The number crested on the e id card is not the NIN but the PAN referred to as the “Primary Account Number which is used for accessing the card’s payment feature once it’s being activated.
Functions of e id card
1. Electronic identity
This is the simplest function of the national e-id card, yet the major of them all.
The card in question contains key information of the holder kept in the NIMC data base. Information such as the;
- National Identification Number (NIN)
- The Card holder/applicant’s address
- Names and other details are being stored and securely locked away. These details can only be read by authorized terminals/card acceptance devices.
To read the details of the card an agency will require a special reader approved by the NIMC.
2. Payment (Europay MasterCard and Visa EMV)
The payment modality enables the e-id card to be used as a device for making payments for goods and services, and these payments are guaranteed from any party of the world.
The card holder will however need to visit any of the participating banks to get the card loaded with money or have money being transferred into the card using any approved platforms.
The card can be used in payment of bills/local utility bills like TV subscription, flight tickets, power and water bills, etc.
3. The Match on Card function
The match on function has to do with the applicant’s 10 fingerprints taken at the point of registration into the National Identity Data base stored safely and no unauthorized users can access them.
This feature makes it difficult for a third party or unauthorized user to present the card since a number of wrong attempts will get it blocked for security reasons.
4. The Electronic Public Key Infrastructure ( ePKI)
This function ensures secure communication between persons, users, and devices. This function builds trust and confidentiality of business dealings.
5. International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
This is also a travel document, the functionality provides anyone who may wish to travel or embark on a cross border journey to countries visa is not required in West Africa such assistance.
Other functions of the e id card include
- e-Health application – This is a function in alliance with the National Health Insurance Scheme, this card can be used for such scheme administration
- e-Pension application – In collaboration with the National Pension Commission (PenCom) card holders will be able to manage their retirement savings account (RSA) effectively.
- e-Voting application – The voter’s ID function on this card will enable it to serve as a voter’s card which can be used to cast vote by the card holder during election.
- e-Taxation application – It will serve as a self-service payment device for taxes
- e-Driver’s license Application – Details of the national driver’s license can be accessed by inserting the ID card in a POS in collaboration with FRSC.
- e-Transport application – Units can be loaded and used to pay for transport fare
- e-SIM application – In collaboration with telcos
- e-Insurance application – In collaboration with NAICOM, the cardholders can administer their insurance policies.
Requirements for e id card collection
- Batch number will be sent to you through SMS
- You are required to have a 4-digit PIN known to you alone
- Your fingerprints will be used for activation of this card
How to activate the e id card
- Kindly walk into the NIMC card collection centre and present the text message/email printouts received from the commission with batch ID
- Your card will be sorted using the details provided
- You will have to confirm your name/address on the card being sorted
- On confirmation, you will open the card envelope to verify the name, date of birth, and image on the face of the ID card before activation finally
- On successful confirmation of the card a Match-on-Card verification is done on the card
- After Match-on-Card verification, other key functions will be activated.
- On completion, the national ID card will be returned to you.
You are not to be charged a fee for this service, it’s free of charge.
Banks where you can register for national identity card
- Access bank
- Citi bank
- Unity bank
- First bank
- Globus bank
- Wema bank
- Zenith bank
- Fidelity bank
- Heritage bank
- Polaris bank
- Providus bank
- Stanbic IBTC
- Sterling bank
You can access your ID card having enrolled for the NIN, the card is multi-functional with a chip installed to enhance electronic transactions.
It can serve as an ATM card for cash withdrawal, payment for good and services, online transactions, this feature is possible given that it can be loaded with cash by any authorized financial bank.
Raphael Orji is a freelance writer, professional blogger and a content marketing consultant. I work with small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs in building their brand image with high quality blogging and content marketing strategy.
In need of highly purposeful driven articles that will resonate with your audience,
Want this kind of article that engages, converts and compels your readers to buy from you,
If you want search Engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo to send and open the floodgates of readers to your website/blog on daily basis,
Want to rank your website/blog
Head over to my Hire Me page and see which of my services you’d like to have.