Latest jobs in Nigeria: How to get graduate trainee Bank jobs in Nigeria
The Nigerian banking industry remains one of the leading institutions that had done graciously well in employment of labor, however, job security is the least you’re guaranteed in this industry.
In this article, I will show you how to apply for latest jobs in Nigeria banks, when, where and how to get shortlisted for the interview among other CV’s. As well the interview preparatory methodology, questions to expect and how to answer same.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: HOW TO PREPARE YOUR CV FOR BANK JOBS IN NIGERIA
Generally, the CV is your starting point for any job haunt, bear in mind that you have so many competitors competing for the same job position with you.
What will compel the recruiters to shortlist you for the interview first and foremost is your CV, its uniqueness will score you cheap points, and to get shortlisted your CV should contain the following:
- Your contact details must be visible at the top of your CV, one phone number and a single e-mail address, avoid clustering this section with too many phone numbers, that’s not the business and can put one off.
- Since you want a career in banking, it’s always good to give yourself a lead from your IT days in school. Gaining little and relevant knowledge, skills in banking will make your work experience column appetizing, rich and enticing. Strive to gain knowledge even if it means offering the service free of charge for the learning period, it’s a top notch.
- Your certification should form part of your CV if you have any, not everyone has been opportune to have one, so put yours to good use and take an edge.
- Your age is a vital and limiting factor, when it comes to latest jobs in Nigeria banks. Your date of birth should tally reasonably with your certificate to an extent. Banks pay important attention to age, if you must effect adjustment kindly make it reasonable but not too obvious to notice the disparity. Get court affidavit to back it up, however integrity issue is highly frown at.
- Indicate your grade, this is very necessary. If the bank specify a grade and you happen to meet up with such requirement, kindly include it in your CV.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: HOW TO APPLY FOR JOBS IN NIGERIA BANKING INDUSTRY
You may also like: Skye Bank recruitment: Apply for Skye Bank entry level recruitment.
This is the critical aspect of job application in Nigeria, gone are the days you parade your CV in bank branches. You will have to visit the bank’s website to drop your application. To get banks website, type the bank name as keyword on Google then follow up suggestions to get the bank’s website.
When you arrive at the website, go to the career section were you will be required to submit your CV. You can increase your opportunity by joining job sites and forums like https://www.jobberman.com & https://www.nairaland.com the latter is the largest Nigerian forum with over two million users that helps update latest jobs in Nigeria on a daily basis, join these networks and boost your chances. Always check the job vacancy section on Nairaland for latest jobs in Nigeria.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: BANK INTERVIEW QUESTIONS IN NIGERIA
Interview questions are not meant to scare you away, you have to fight your fears at this time. The questions are stationed to test your level of preparedness and how much you know the organization you want to work with, to as well test your ability overall job position you’re applying for.
At this point I will like to outline some possible interview questions you could be asked by the panel responsible for your job recruitment.
1. May we meet you: This question happens to be the introductory aspect of your interview which however could assume different shapes. You could hear something like, who are you? Tell us about yourself etc.
To answer this question, there’s no strict formula, however confine your answer within the tenets of your CV. Once you hear that question, the members of this panel already have your CVs with them.
They’ll be scanning through it in a hurry, remember 90% of your introduction is CV based so do as much as possible know the contents of your CV without mincing words.
It’s a great part to integrity, as contrary assertions could raise questions early enough about your personal integrity. Nobody is interested in your hobbies, do not waste their time.
Maintain eye contact with them while answering this question, it defines courage and responsibility in your part, there’s no room for naivety. Be the best you can, explain yourself, your background, academic qualification, your age inclusive in your own way but be precise about it.
2. Why should we hire you? This question could as well be twisted as what made you think you’re suitable or the best candidate for this job?
Like I will always advise, maintain your cool. Since of all latest jobs in Nigeria, you choose to go for banking, then it’s expected that you should had done your background search on the bank to know her corporate philosophy and values.
Your answer to the above question should not be greedy, spewing all sorts of good qualities about you, no that isn’t the right way to go. Your answer should reflect on the bank’s mission and vision which encompasses its corporate philosophy.
What they want to hear from you is touch aspects of their business model you can drive, sound convincing and be smart about it.
Example: Say you find yourself before a Skye Bank interview panel and the above question was thrown at you. Typically like I said, the corporate philosophy of the bank is very important.
Skye Bank Vision: Is to be a leading and first class commercial bank.
Skye Bank Mission: To distinguish itself in the banking industry through excellent service quality steeped in the use of information and communication technology.
Skye Bank Core Values:
- Service excellence
- Continuous learning
- Partnership and
Your answer to the above question should reflect Skye bank vision “I want to be a part of this team that will drive Skye bank to enviable height, where other banks can look up to it as a leading commercial bank in the industry.
“As a modern youth, information and technology is leading the pace and I have this great affinity for ICT, Skye bank’s mission exactly matched my quest and will help me go up the trend while serving the organization with all loyalty it requires to be a technology outstanding brand.”
“Like you know, learning is a continuous trend and Skye bank gives room for that, which means I can still become a better person than I am in my career pursuit, without iota of doubt the bank has the ability to help me go up the ladder while I contribute to its bottom line towards rendering quality and excellent service to its customers, maintain highest level of integrity and trust while partnering with colleagues to champion the brand.
3. What’s our current stock price? It’s not just enough to know the bank’s MD name, you should go as far as checking out the bank’s business model, what they’ve been doing over the years in the stock market. You should know its current value which is also called the bank’s shares traded on the Stock Exchange market.
4. Name any four of our products: This question shouldn’t come to you as a surprise, banks have different products ranging from their class of accounts and offshore services. You should be able to know these products, all their savings account, current and company accounts.
You should know how they work, their opening balance, withdrawal threshold, added advantages and all that. Your confidence in answering these questions is very key as you’re on your adventure to winning yourself a job.
5. What do you think this position requires and how well do you match those requirements?
The answer to this question should marshal out your strength, your competence, this is where skills on the job counts and areas you hope to improve should go mute.
6. What’s your weakness? This type of question is called emotional intelligence, will you say you don’t have any, then you most probably lack integrity. Weakness is not a bad thing, so long you are human.
The following can make up your response for weakness: I have issues with trust, I am quick tempered, I hardly give friends a call.
7. How do you intend to manage pressure on the job? Being that banking is a demanding job, you should be able to proffer how you will manage pressure.
“Well, on the job I will manage pressure by not pilling work, I will treat them as they come to have my head cool”.
These are just few of the questions you should expect, arm yourself with words and make the best of interview.
LATTEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: BANKS CURRENTLY RECRUITING IN NIGERIA
There’s no specific time for bank recruitment, all you have to do is keep following up with mails after you have dropped your CVs, like I pointed out earlier, visit job site and especially Nairaland. Use the job section on this forum to your advantage.
Get acquainted with bankers so they can tip you off each time recruitment is on because they are bound to have a firsthand information. More so acquaint yourself with GMAT, quantitative and verbal reasoning questions for the written interview.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: BANK TRAINING SCHOOL
Successful candidates will proceed to the bank training school after the interview proper. In the bank training school, you will be modelled to represent the bank brand in full capacity.
The good thing about training school is that you will get to know more about the fundamentals of the bank in question, what they stand for what they believe in and who their major competitors are, the direction of their businesses and possible challenges they have in hand as well how you are expected to assist in proffering solutions to such challenges.
You will be communicated the procedural means, the policy will be made available as a your guide in banking operations and all your dealings. Dressing sense are harnessed optimally and you’re expected to comply.
In recent times, you will spend not less than three active months in the bank training school during which will involve academic and social activities. For all you have been taught you will be expected to write exams in the end of each curriculum to test your intellectual ability.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: OFFER LETTER AND DEPLOYMENT TO THE BRANCH
Finally you’ve succeeded in getting the job, it’s time to face the real world in the branch, this is where all promises you made at the interview phase and training school will be put to test. Now you will need to understand that your branch is structured as a business outfit.
Usually there’s the marketing section and the operation. Depending on where you’ve been assigned. The marketers like you know are the business drivers and developers, they bring business to the branch while the operation team process the business.
In some banks the marketing team is headed by the branch manager, while the operations has the Head of Operations as the head or Business Service Manager as the case may be.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: PROCEDURE AND POLICY
Policy is the rules and regulations, you’re expected to be guided by these policies as breaching any of them will expose you to managerial disciplinary action and could cost your job depending on the punishment attached to such policy breach.
However, it is always good to do the job the policy way, but the boss way will as well help you at the branch level.
You know why? Your boss is responsible for your appraisal and promotion recommendation, he could as well choose to make the work environment difficult for you, it’s always good to be in the good books of your boss.
But you must always watch directives that will expose you to harm, if the risk is too much for you to take kindly decline just to save your job. The truth is when you have issues with the upper management not even your boss will stand by you because he wouldn’t want to be axed alongside.
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA: THE INTERNAL CONTROL DEPARTMENT
Pay attention, the internal control department are the units acting as the bank police. Their major duty is to detect and prevent fraud in the branch. The major stock in trade is money as such employee are always vulnerable to its manhandling and will most often involve in funny deals that will suggest they parted with money.
The control department will administer and instill discipline as well ensure that the policy is being maintained at all time.
Trust this article has to a great extent answered your questions, vying for latest jobs in Nigeria especially in banking is not much of a herculean task, but you should know the A, B and C involved. Share your difficulty securing latest jobs in Nigeria let’s help you out.
Raphael is a seasoned and dynamic writer, with interest in Banking, personal finance, entrepreneurial development. A councillor and motivational speaker.