How To Effect Change of Receiver Name On MoneyGram Transaction
For the benefit of newbies who may ask questions like, what is MoneyGram? Let me start well by the introducing the concept MoneyGram itself.
MoneyGram is one of the age long means of money transfers, this ordinarily infers money is being transferred from one person to another especially people residing in different countries.
Example: Say a student from Nigeria who lives and works in California USA decides to send money to his love once in Nigeria. MoneyGram is one of the numerous avenues he can use to send this money home in the name of whoever he chose as beneficiary.
You may also like: 5 reliable ways to receive money in Nigeria
From the detailed explanation above, three parties are involved in this money transfer process; the sender, the receiver and of course MoneyGram company acting as the channel or intermediary. Hope that is clear at this point?
In this guide, I will like to show you how to surmount the following possible challenges which normally come up on MoneyGram transfer:
- How to effect change of receiver name on MoneyGram transaction
- Correction of receiver name on MoneyGram transaction
- Cancellation of MoneyGram transaction
- MoneyGram refund process
- MoneyGram toll free number
HOW TO EFFECT CHANGE OF RECEIVER NAME ON MONEYGRAM TRANSACTION
There has been questions making rounds from my readers inquiring to be properly guided on how best to change receiver name on MoneyGram.
Like I’d said earlier, receiver is the beneficiary in whose name the MoneyGram transfer is being sent. Sometimes issues could arise which could warrant the beneficiary not being able to receive the payment at the MoneyGram agent location. Among these issues are
- The beneficiary could had exceeded his/her threshold within the stipulated period allowed in their countries. What this mean to say is that, once a beneficiary has reached or exceeded receivable limits they cannot receive any more funds till the period elaspses.
Example: A beneficiary in Nigeria is entitled to $5k USD in a period of 90 days, once this threshold is met they cannot receive MoneyGram transactions till after that quarter.
But so long he’d been receiving funds which has not amounted to the above value, he can carry on transactions. Hope that’s clear?
- ID card mismatch, this is a scenario where the receiver name on the beneficiary’s ID card does not conform with what is obtainable on the computer. In this case, the beneficiary will not be paid.
- The targeted receiver could had moved out of the country to stay elsewhere for a long time, the receiver name must be changed, otherwise no other person can access the fund.
To effect change of receiver name on MoneyGram transaction, the sender should kindly take the following steps:
- Pick your ID card and the MoneyGram reference number and head to the agent location.
- On arrival inform the MoneyGram agent of the development. He will require the aforementioned details from you to enable him do a mail to the appropriate MoneyGram department immediately for possible resolution. However, in most cases, they will not accomplish outright change of name instead will choose to refund your money, in scenario where they agree to change the name, you’ll provide a fresh name which implies you now intend to send to a different beneficiary other than the one you routed for initially.
The money should be ready within 24hrs after the name change has been completed.
You may also like: How to send money through Western Union online
CHANGE OF RECEIVER NAME ON MONEYGRAM: CORRECTION OF RECEIVER NAME ON MONEY GRAM
Change of receiver name on MoneyGram and correction of receiver name on MoneyGram are two different things.
Correction of receiver name is effected when the following had occurred:
- If the receiver name is being misspelled as contained in his ID card. In this case it calls for correction before the money can be paid.
Example: If a Money Gram transaction is being sent to say Kenneth Uzo Chukwu who has the written name exactly on his ID card. Say the agent mistakenly type the receiver name as follows
Keneth Uzo Chukwu.
The receiver cannot not be paid, from the above name you can see that the agent typed Kenneth as Keneth hereby omitting letter “n”. It is now the responsibility of the beneficiary to contact the sender and inform him of the development which ought to be corrected pronto. Hope that’s clear?
- Where there’s transposition of First name, middle or last name, the MoneyGram transaction cannot be paid.
Example: Suppose Kenneth Uzo Chukwu is the beneficiary here, the receiver name is in this order First name= Kenneth, Middle name= Uzo, Last name= Chukwu.
If the agent mistakenly writes the surname where he’s supposed to write the first name, the transaction cannot be paid viz versa, until he effects the correction.
So it’s the soul duty of the beneficiary to send his correct name and sequence to the sender before the MoneyGram transaction is been sent in the first place.
CHANGE OF RECEIVER NAME ON MONEYGRAM: CANCELLATION OF MONEY GRAM TRANSACTION
MoneyGram transaction can be cancelled in event where MoneyGram deem it fit that they’re not comfortable with the transaction or at the express notice by the sender himself. However, if the sender demands the cancellation of a said transaction himself, he would be made to understand that he’s going to forfeit the charge he paid during the transfer process.
But in event where MoneyGram decides to cancel the transaction, the sender will receive full settlement to the tune of the amount he paid initially that’s the principal and the fee.
CHANGE OF RECEIVER NAME ON MONEYGRAM: MONEY GRAM REFUND
MoneyGram refund takes place after the beneficiary could not receive the money due to any of the aforementioned problems.
If MoneyGram International deem it fit to refund your money, you will have to call them on phone. Be mindful they’ll ask you very sensitive security questions to ascertain if the remittance was actually effected by you in the first place.
On successful verification they will send 8 digit reference number other than the initial one you have. With this reference number you will head back to the agent location who will pull the transaction and credit you back to the tune of the amount refunded.
CHANGE OF RECEIVER NAME ON MONEYGRAM: MONEY GRAM CUSTOMER CARE LINE
To communicate with MoneyGram effectively it should be on phone which has proved to be very seamless and easier. Just follow the voice prompt as being referred to hook up with the customer service representative. You have 90 days to pick your MoneyGram transaction otherwise it will be cancelled and refund effected. The phone number is +17203625024. https://www.moneygram.com
Change of receiver name on MoneyGram transaction is not a difficult one provided you’re not trying to steal someone else’s transaction. Feel free to communicate with me on your challenges on MoneyGram transfers and I will attend to your inquiry almost immediately.
Raphael is a seasoned and dynamic writer, with interest in Banking, personal finance, entrepreneurial development. A councillor and motivational speaker.